Your Exit Strategy
So that you can experience retirement on your terms—rather than reacting to what life or the business world throws your way—take the time to think about transitioning while you’re in good health and the business is strong. That way you’ll be in a good place to negotiate and won’t be forced to make decisions under difficult circumstances. Putting in the work upfront can make it that much easier to hand over the keys when you’re ready.
You have three basic options when it comes to passing along your business: sell all of it, part of it or pass it down to an heir. Ask yourself:
• Do you want to still be involved after the sale or would you prefer a clean break?
• Are you ready to give up control? Or deal with the emotions of letting go?
• Do you know someone ready to run the business? A partner? An heir?
• Will you have enough income without the business?
LAYING THE GROUNDWORK
Your business is a huge part of your life and your net worth, and the more you know the better your chances of making the best deal.
Have the business valued. Frequently the single most critical factor in a sale transaction, valuation is something that should be central to your planning both before and after a sale.
Hire a Trustworthy Team. Planning a transition can be daunting for even the most experienced business owner. Financial professionals who thoroughly understand your needs and are committed to your best interest will help. Your Wealth Advisor has access to specialized resources and can collaborate with other professionals like your investment banker and attorney in things such as:
• A full financial and tax review for a comprehensive view of your business’s tax and legal obligations.
• Evaluating the tax consequences of a sale.
• Considering how the full or partial sale may affect your personal finances and plans for retirement.
• A strategy to optimize cash flow after the sale closes.
We can help you coordinate the working parts of your business, balance sheet, and personal wealth. Let’s collaborate on your tailored plan so you can ENJOY MORE - more control, more possibility and more of what matters most to you. Contact us today at 605-357-8553 or email@example.com.